Friday, May 28, 2010

Ethan the Dancer


When Ethan was a day old, Atta, the hospital Family Wellness Center, told us that he was going to like movement, and strongly recommended we get a rocking chair. A couple of days later, Mimi (AKA Peggy, AKA Katie's mom) and I went on a rocking chair safari, checking out such high class joints as the Salvation Army and neighborhood junk, I mean antique, shop. Our search took us to a pair of stores in Del Ray, Alexandria ("Where Main Street still exists," but is called Mt Vernon Ave) with some great consignment pieces and a pretty neat rocker. I bought the rocker - for the bargain price of $79 - and we took it home. With some creative rearranging, we got it into the bedroom, next to the bed. Katie and Mimi have had some success calming Ethan down with it.

I, however, failed. Since putting the Moby wrap on in the middle of the night whilst half-asleep just isn't very appealing, and probably not very safe for Ethan or me, I've had to come up with other ways. These usually involve taking him to another room and bouncing him around a bit.

Last night, though, We discovered another way. We give Ethan to Elmira, I mean, Erica. I was out at a bourbon tasting with James, so Katie went to their house to hang out with Erica. Ethan was getting fussy as they watched "So you think you can dance." Erica picked him up, and starting dancing. For an hour. To Lady Gaga. For an hour.

Today we drove up to West Chester, with this story fresh in my ears and Katie's memory. Ethan started his witching hour, right about on time, and I started bouncing him around. We danced for a bit, and Katie took this picture - I think he likes it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: